Monday, January 26, 2015

Birds & Bees

Where I have my beehive positioned it gets great sun, which is good in winter (and needs to be shaded next summer) but it also gets blasted by wind.  About a month ago, I put up some straw bales on the sides of the hive that get hit the hardest by wind.  I didn't stack them right up against the hive, I left some space in between.

Windbreak of straw bales around the beehive (prevailing winds sides)
Note how the outer cover of the hive is jauntily askew.  That is on purpose.  Offsetting the lid like this uncovers the hole towards the front of the inner cover, and allows better ventilation of moist air from the bees' respiration.  This airflow prevents condensation from forming inside the cover and dripping on the cluster of bees.  There should also be "dead airspace" under the hive, but open area for fresh air to enter below the hive and be drawn out the top.  I do this by wrapping the pallet I have the hive placed on with tarp to block wind from blowing up into the hive through the screened bottom board from below.  However, I don't wrap it tightly and leave areas for air to enter.  



The chickens winter set up is still functioning well.  I plan to clean out all the litter in the spring for further composting, or the garden, where appropriate.


Deep litter seems to still be working
Back row: L to R New Hampshire Red, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Front Row: Dominique, Delaware
Feeder, Nest Boxes, Dust Box and straw bales as hangout spots until needed for deep litter
Clockwise from bottom left: Dominique, Easter Egger, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Delaware


No comments:

Post a Comment